My obsession with useless information and looking things up.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Lexical Aversion

Learned: Tuesday night after mentioning that I hate particular words, I wondered why.

Good news! I'm not crazy.

The word panties has always sickened and revolted me to no end and I never understood why. Perhaps I even consider the word pussy (I can barely spell it without making a face) to be even more vile. I always impulsively have to verbalize my disgust every time someone in earshot uses either of those words. It even upsets me to read them.

Apparently, this is not an extremely unusual phenomenon and the words panties, along with moist and fleshy, are of it's most common victims.

http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/004835.html

Strangely, I am not disgusted by the meaning of either of the words, like how some people are repulsed by the words slick or pus because it triggers thoughts of some kind of slime or nasty fluids. Instead, it's the actual pronunciation of those words that make me cringe. The act of saying the words or hearing them spoken gives me a very uneasy feeling. I have no problems with the words underwear or vagina, or any other words used to describe those things.

I always thought it was part of my minor ocd tendencies-- which I have come to realize (mostly through the observations of others) that I have a lot of them.

No comments: